Sunday, June 8, 2014

Royal Blue Minimalism

royal blue asymmetrical dress, made in Canada by Sympli

My mom gave me this asymmetrical dress, made by Canadian brand Sympli. I love the heavy fabric, unusual design, and flattering drape. The whole garment feels very modern to me, like I'm about to jump into Gattaca (although I highly hope that doesn't happen). Perhaps it's a reach, but I think the outfit's simplicity helped me stay organized and productive throughout the day.

Unfortunately, there's a problem with intuitive leaps like that: the human brain is fallible. I'm currently reading a book called Mindwise, which explains how cognitive errors can lead to social misunderstandings, ranging from minor disagreements between friends to brutal international warfare. It's an enlightening book--but also kind of depressing. My mom commented, "Basically, everybody is wrong about everything." Yup. At least I can still enjoy the sunshine!

royal blue asymmetrical dress, made in Canada by Sympli royal blue asymmetrical dress, made in Canada by Sympli

PS: Sympli clothes can be purchased online at Joss Boutique or The Clothing Cove. There are probably other places as well but Google turned those up immediately.

12 comments :

  1. Oh man, I love that dress! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok royal blue is your color! THIS LOOKS AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds very interesting. I used to do team interviews and investigations with a co-worker who I thought had no grasp of social clues. That doesn't make me a 'mindreader,' but some people are dense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an interesting book, and sheds a new light on workplace dynamics.

      Delete
  4. That is such a unique dress! And it looks very comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Perhaps it's a reach, but I think the outfit's simplicity helped me stay organized and productive throughout the day."

    I find that really fascinating. Even if such intuitive leaps are problematic, I've often felt my ensemble of the day highly effects my attitude. If I stay in PJs, I feel no need to do anything but watch Netflix huddled in the blankets. But when I wear something that feels proactive in some way, I will usually be far more proactive. Perhaps it's just because I've told my brain that, though :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We have the same thought process I think

      Delete
  6. I just LOVE this dress-- the cut, the color, EVERYTHING! Your mama has amazing taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will tell her you said so!

      Delete

It's lovely to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...