One Kings Lane banner ad

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Visiting New Northland

Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook Tea Party

As far back as I can remember, my family has consulted Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book. The first copy we had was batter-stained and disintegrating by the time it retired. I used to pore through the illustrated desserts, intimidated by the instructions but definitely hungry. When I was thirteen or so, my mom gave me a shiny new version, probably hoping (in vain) that I would learn to cook properly. More than six years later, I still only pay attention to the sections on baking.

Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook Tea Party

Elegant china + half coffee/half tea with a dash of vanilla + homemade cookies + bunny-patterned napkin = sweet interlude.

I almost never follow a recipe exactly, due to a combination of impatience and dietary restrictions. Sometimes my slapdash technique can yield... surprises. But these cookies turned out really well, so I'm going to share my modified version with y'all. The original instructions are included at the end of the post.

// Modified New Northland Cookies //

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix together:
- 6 tablespoons // soft or melted butter
- 1 cup // coconut palm sugar (or 1/2 cup // agave syrup)

Stir in:
- 1/4 cup // cold water

Mix and stir in:
- 1 & 3/4 cups // unbleached whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon // baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon // salt
- 1/2 teaspoon // cinnamon

Mix in:
- 1/2 cup // broken macadamia nuts
- handful // unsweetened shredded coconut

After all the ingredients are thoroughly combined, use your palms to roll tablespoon-sized balls. Place the dough-balls on a greased baking sheet--Silpat is amazing, by the way--with an inch or two between them. Then stick those suckers in the oven for 10 minutes. They should come out crunchy, buttery, and delicious.

Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook Tea Party New Northland Cookie Recipe

6 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh, these sound so delicious! My stomach is grumbling!

    xo
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry! We just finished the last of them, and I'm sad.

      Delete
  2. I know the feeling - we made some chocolate afghan cookies the other night, and they're basically already gone!

    Now I want another cup of tea... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea forever! By the way, my dad read the comments on that other post and bought Lady Grey! I have a cup of it next to me right now. I like the light citrus-y-ness.

      Delete
  3. I have The Joy of cooking and The Betty Crocker cookbook, they were
    my grandmothers, she passed them down to my mother when she got married and my mom passed them down to me when I got married. I use the books all of the time, my mom and grandmother both wrote little notes next to the recipes so it's something that's very personal to me. Your treats look like they came out delicious, I'll have to save this and give them a try.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet and wonderful! I should start writing notes in my recipe books so that I can eventually pass them down in a special way. My mom has boxes of recipe cards handwritten by various family members, especially her grandmother, and I'd like to try my hand at some of those.

      Delete

It's lovely to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...