One Kings Lane banner ad

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Somebody That I Used To Know

red silk sleeveless button-down blouse, long vintage floral skirt

Today I ran into one of my ex-boyfriends. As soon as I recognized him, I frantically texted Kyndra, "Ex-boyfriends should just disappear after they've been broken up with. They should vanish entirely." Except for the one I'm dating (re-dating?) right now--he can stick around. Anyway, the ex who surprised me this morning was my "main squeeze" from high school. I thought he had moved back to Ohio, so it was quite a shock to see him, and generally weird. I find it unsettling when people from my past pop up in the present without warning.

Context: I went to a mental health conference put on by New America Media and various other organizations. (More event details, if you're curious.) My ex is working for one of the advocacy groups that attended. We chatted about his job and it was all very normal, but I was freaking out on the inside. I'll admit that when I saw him, my first reaction was to feel relieved that I looked good. I'm way babelier now than I was in high school. So HA! Or, um, [insert mature reaction to this situation].

red silk sleeveless button-down blouse, long vintage floral skirt red silk sleeveless button-down blouse, long vintage floral skirt

Post title obviously stolen from Gotye's hit song, which I've listened to 187318297 times.

12 comments :

  1. Moving to a new state definitely reduces the number of awkward run-ins. Though you never know ... I saw someone I went to high school with once on the subway here in NYC. She totally didn't recognize me though. Small world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly looking babely! This is one of my favorite outfits of yours in a while.

    "I find it unsettling when people from my past pop up in the present without warning." Yup. And then you have to come to terms with being a person you'd thought you'd grown out of - the version of yourself who responds so viscerally to them. Urgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. Thank you for encapsulating what I was trying to say. And I'm glad you like the outfit =D

      Delete
  3. You look great! And yeah, old boyfriend/crush encounters are always awkward. The nice thing? You can be sure that however pleasantly calm and chill his reaction on seeing you might have appeared, inwardly HE was freaking out too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First: love the skirt and fuchsia top combo! :-D I want your wardrobe. Give it to meeee.

    Second: TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT EXES. You know, I get this terrible urge to giggle hysterically when I'm in that situation. I generally manage to conquer it and carry out a normal conversation, but inside they're wheeling me away in a straightjacket. I have no idea why this happens..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sends wardrobe* yup, I feel it! we're straightjacket sisters~

      Delete
  5. Once I spotted an ex in my small hometown grocery store (when I was visiting), and I turned bright red, turned completely around, and walked as fast as possible in the opposite direction. I later heard from him that he saw me (I didn't think he had). Awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you do look babely! this outfit, seriously one of my favs ever of yours. somehow the proportions make you look extra tall, which doesnt matter but i thought was interesting and in general just fits you amazingly! i dont feel like this outfit would work on me at all but you totally rocked it. and i totally know what ya mean, as immature as it is, it's always great to feel like you look good when running into ppl you used to know/esp ex's.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...