One Kings Lane banner ad

Friday, February 7, 2014

Eyecandy For Knights

No, not coquettish milkmaids in saucy skirts! What kind of wench do you think I am?



"This is a helmet based on surviving Vendel and Valsgärde helmets of the 7th century. Such a helmet would have been part of a splendid panoply of richly decorated arms, armour and fittings worn and used by the highest members of a powerful warrior elite. The helmet is enriched with decorative and figurative pressblech scenes of a mythological nature and is topped by a stylized boar crest, which may have been a talismanic reference to the golden boar of the Germanic war god Freyr."

Okay, but let me backtrack for a second. Recently I started working with Patricia Bracewell (who didn't ask me to write this, FYI). She's an up-and-coming historical novelist and of course is phenomenally busy working on the sequel to her breakout book, Shadow on the Crown. Despite the literary hustle, Pat has been curating a set of Pinterest boards on topics like Vikings and armor.

So lately I've been spending more time than usual looking at medieval swords and whatnot (which has been a blast, because obviously). And that's how I came across Royal Oak Armoury, "a Canadian company that produces well-researched armour replicas for discerning customers." All of their pieces are handcrafted using authentic materials and methods. THAT IS SO COOL. And the end results are gorgeous. Check 'em out on Etsy, deviantART, and/or Facebook. [Each of the following images is linked to where I found it. When I appended a quote/description, that came from the same place.]



"Tibetan helmet, of a type used from the 8th – 16th centuries. Helmet skull made of eight plates laced together with leather, with an attached skirt formed from the type of lamellar known as 'willow leaf.' Surprisingly well-preserved examples of these helmets still exist in Tibetan monasteries, having been acquired and maintained by the priesthood from warriors who took vows."



"Construction of the spiked gadlings and other finger elements is based on the funerary achievements and effigy of Edward, the Black Prince, in Canterbury Cathedral."

10 comments :

  1. Like Marlen, I am also curious as to what the work is all about!
    I love love love the armor! The skill that goes into constructing those is mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered above! And yeah, the metalwork expertise is just--WOW. Research too!

      Delete
  2. I'm helping her with social media strategy and brand image! It's really fun because I'm actually interested in history (generally) and her book (specifically). I could never write something like that either--the amount of research she did is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need all of the things...RIGHT NOW! :-D

    These pieces are so well made! (not that I thought they wouldn't be, it's just so lovely every time you see a gorgeous, intricate, handmade item in our 'fast food' kind of modern production soceity).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like this one, Syl! And I know, right? I felt disheartened at the thrift store today, looking through modern manufactured clothes that were already falling apart.

      Delete
  4. what a cool mask :D

    WWW.PUTRIVALENTINALIM.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I suggest looking at Raymond the Quiet at The Quiet Press for more well-researched goodies for your Pinterest board?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this, Sonya. I am the owner of Royal Oak Armoury, and it does me good to see my work and the history behind it being appreciated by a different audience than I am accustomed to dealing with.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...